Join the Slow Movement
Here are some tips to go slow in life:
- Shake the hands that feeds you: meet the people who grow your food; shop at farmers markets or farm gates; or buy shares from a local farm that offers a community supported agriculture (CSA) programme. Buy in season and as local/regional as you can.
- We all love a bargain, but if the price is that cheap ask yourself how much the farmer or producer is getting for all his/her hard work growing it for you.
- Buy whole food and avoid processed stuff with long ingredient lists. Learn some new recipes; cook with love, eat with attention, share with others.
- Don't let food go to waste. Avoid plastic and over-packaging.
- Grow your own food - in your backyard, community garden or kitchen window
- If you eat meat, eat less of it and choose grass-fed. If you eat poultry/eggs, choose free-range or organic. If you eat fish, buy sustainable/local whenever you can.
- Be convivial! Sharing food makes you feel good and brings new people and perspectives to the table.
Become a member and make a difference
You can also become a member or 'friend of Slow Food'. Members receive newsletters and special invites to events at reduced prices. You'll also have the opportunity to join our "bulk buying" group. To join, download the membership form on this page and pay by electronic fund transfer into our Slow Food Shoalhaven bank account or online via Slow Food international's website with your credit card (details on form). We prefer it if you join by contacting us directly so we can welcome and get to know you as soon as possible. For more info, email us or send us a message via the contact page on this website.
Click here for membership-form
Category Individual Couple
Annual fee AUD 90 AUD 105
3-year sustainer AUD 250 AUD 295
Youth (under 35)* AUD 30 AUD 45
Mature (over 65)* AUD 45 AUD 60
* proof of age required
Send us an email if you are interested in becoming a 'friend of Slow Food Shoalhaven' (one-time donation, or corporate sponsoring).